As a lover of food, we all have different ways of preparing Egusi soup... I learnt they also have Egusi collabo because of the tomato that is been used to prepare it, and can be eaten with rice. Now here is how to prepare Egusi Soup.
- 200g ground pumpkin (egusi) seed
- 400g of beef
- 50g of cooked and boned stockfish pieces
- 3 spoons of ground dried crayfish
- 1 small bunch of ugwu or bitter leaves
- 50ml of palm oil
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1 small onions
- 4 large fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground chilli powder
Direction: 1. Cut the beef into bite size pieces, season with 1 chopped onion and 1 seasoning cube. Add half a cup of water and boil for about 10 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
2, Mix the ground egusi in half a cup of water. Set aside. Also blend the tomatoes, 1 onion and chilli. Set aside.
3. Heat the palm oil in another pot and add the egusi mixture. Stir well and allow the egusi to fry a little. Then add the blend and stir well. Add the ground crayfish, second seasoning cube and stockfish.
4. Add 2 cups of water and allow to cook for 5 minutes. Then add the boiled meat and stir. Turn heat down and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
5. Wash and finely slice the ugwu leaves. Add to the simmering soup and stir in. Continue to simmer for a further 5 minutes to allow the vegetables to soften. Serve with cassava, fufu or garri.